Subject: Consolidating marble

Consolidating marble

From: Pilar Hernandez <pilarny>
Date: Friday, May 9, 2003
I work in the National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico. We are
working a marble sculpture  that was discovered in Teotihuacan the
last October. It is a huge and weighty sculpture (1.30 x 0.40m). The
problem is that it is broken in five pieces and in some parts the
stone is very deteriorated. It has lost the particles' cohesion and
it has the appearance of sugar. We can't find any articles about
marble consolidation. All we know and have read is about limestone.
Any comments or recommendations will be very helpful,

Pilar Hernandez
Conservator
Museo Nacional de Antropologia

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 13, 2003