Subject: Polyfilla and Moltofill

Polyfilla and Moltofill

From: Sophie Haake <shaake>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 2003
Daniel Joest <lcjoest [at] yahoo__com> writes

>I am a student of stone conservation and I'm working on an
>predynastic Egyptian siltstone vessel which needs structural fills.
>    Does anyone has experience with Polyfilla and/or Moltofill?

After working with Polyfilla in the U.S. I tried to get it in
Germany and contacted the manufacturer Henckel in Germany. Polyfilla
is neither manufactured nor on the market in Germany and Henckel
could not give me any information about the product or alternatives
to it, that would be available in Germany. As far as I know it is a
cellulose reinforced white plaster filler.

Just from personal experience I think that Moltofill has different
properties. It seems to be not as soft as Polyfilla. As far as I
know Moltofill is not used in conservation in Germany; conservators
seem to stick to normal plaster instead.

In Canada it is available through LePage, a Division of Henckel. You
can fax your MSDS request for LePage Polyfilla Cellulose Filler to
905-459-8031.

Good luck with finding more information Daniel,

Sophie Haake
Graduate Intern
The Getty Conservation Institute
310-440-6877