Subject: Silver leaf on painting

Silver leaf on painting

From: Linda Roundhill <artsconservation>
Date: Wednesday, May 7, 2003
Ruth Bubb <ruth [at] ruthbubb__co__uk> writes

>We have in our conservation studio a contemporary Russian(?) icon
>with silver leaf gilding which has begun to tarnish. We assume that
>it is water gilding. Does anyone know of any method of removing or
>arresting the tarnish?

I treated a German Madonna polychrome sculpture with silver leaf
which was heavily tarnished. There was not much silver left at all,
but a metallic surface was found by applying acetone, allowing
evaporation to deposit minute quantities of moisture, after which
the softened tarnish could be removed with tiny swabs of acetone.
Using a wet swab directly would have dissolved the bole beneath the
leaf remains.  Other methods proved ineffective or too risky, but a
contemporary Russian Icon should respond very differently.

After cleaning it was painted with two coats 15% Paraloid B-67 in
Stoddard's Solvent and I believe it remains bright after 15 years.

Linda S. Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation
18121 157th Ave NE
Woodinville, WA 98072