Subject: Donations of materials sought

Donations of materials sought

From: Lara Wilson <lw252>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 2003
    author.

I will be spending August of this year and a further five months in
2004 on an internship as a paintings conservator in the National
Museum of Art in Maputo, Mozambique. The museum holds examples of
paintings by some of the best known contemporary African artists as
well as many paintings by Portuguese artists dating from the earlier
twentieth century in storage.

The staff run a busy exhibitions schedule, a well-subscribed
community education programme and offer conservation assistance to
regional museums and historic buildings in the country. However, the
conservation department (with two trained conservators) suffers from
a chronic lack of materials and the museum's budget is one of the
lowest in sub-saharan Africa. I hope to identify more sustainable
local sources of materials during my internship, but also would like
to gather as many materials and as much equipment as possible to
take with me. A list of paints and varnishes specifically requested
by the museum follows, but they would be very grateful for donations
of any materials whatsoever, apart from solvents which will cause
problems with customs.

Examples might include brushes (perhaps used but still serviceable),
scalpels, off-cuts of canvas which might be used for loose linings
or strip linings, tissue paper and varnishes. However, anything at
all would be greatly appreciated. Please send donations to :

    Lara Wilson
    Corpus Christi College
    Trumpington Street
    Cambridge, CB2 1RH, UK

If you would like postage reimbursed, please also send  a note of
the cost, the name of the person to whom a cheque should be made out
and the address to which it should be sent. If you have larger items
to donate or are not sure whether or not to send something, please
contact me on <lw252 [at] cam__ac__uk>.

Items specifically requested:

    Winsor and Newton oil paints:
        zinc white 748 sl; cadmium yellow 108 Sl S4; gold ochre 285
        S3; transparent gold ochre 646 S1; burnt umber 76 Sl; ivory
        black 331 Sl; viridian 692 Sl; cadmium yellow pale 118 sl;
        cadmium red deep 97 sl; cadmium yellow 118 Sl.

    Winsor and Newton watercolours series AAA:
        burnt sienna 74; raw sienna 554; burnt umber 776; venetian red
        678; indian red 317; cadmium red 94; viridian 692; ivory
        black 331.

    Winsor and Newton dry pigments:
        yellow ochre; cadmium red; ivory black; cadmium yellow; zinc
        white.

    Winsor and Newton retouching varnish and matt varnish

                   Distributed: Monday, May 12, 2003