Subject: Positions at British Museum

Positions at British Museum

From: James Parker <jparker>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 2003
Organic Conservator (2 positions)
Stone Conservator
Ceramics and Glass Conservator
Textile conservator
British Museum

Applications are invited for following posts within the Department
of Conservation, Documentation and Science at The British Museum;
three of which are permanent posts. All posts have a starting salary
of UKP18,537 pa (pro rata for fixed term contracts).

Organic Conservator (ref. 2003/08)

    This is a permanent position which is based in our North London
    studios. The post involves conservation of objects made from a
    wide range of organic materials, predominantly from the
    Ethnographic and Egyptian collection. We have a busy and
    demanding loans and exhibitions programme and a growing emphasis
    on making the reserve collections available for research.

Stone Conservator (ref. 2003/09)

    This is a permanent position. The post covers the conservation
    of stone, wall paintings and mosaics. The studio is also
    responsible for the conservation of plaster casts held by the
    Museum. The work programme is currently focussing on the
    conservation of objects for our permanent galleries (e.g. King's
    Library and Nebamum wall paintings), but there is also a hectic
    loans programme.

Ceramics and Glass Conservator (ref. 2003/10)

    This is a permanent position. The post involves treatment of a
    wide variety of objects covering many periods and cultures. The
    job will largely focus on the conservation and restoration of
    ceramics and to a lesser degree glass and enamel. Work on
    objects from the reserve collection is increasingly a priority.

Textile conservator (11 months contract) (ref. 2003/11)

    This is fixed term contract post for 11 months funded by the
    Mellon Foundation. The post is part of the Stein II digitisation
    project and will assist with the conservation work of early
    Chinese textile fragments making these ready for photography. It
    will also involve improving the storage conditions of these very
    early and rare samples and making them available for research.

Organic conservator (12 months contract) (ref. 2003/12)

    This is a fixed term contract post for 12 months funded by
    sponsorship. The post involves conservation of a wide range of
    objects of organic origin, for exhibition, loan and study.
    Experience with ethnographic or ancient Egyptian artefacts would
    be particularly welcome.

Person specification: We are looking for qualified conservators with
an interest in working in a large and busy national museum. You must
demonstrate in your application that you have suitable
qualifications for the relevant post and practical experience
following graduation is desirable. You must be able to work as part
of small team, yet be able to work independently. Good work flow
planning skills are desirable. You will be required to work closely
with other professionals within the Museum and good communications
skills are essential.

On occasions you may be required to assist with projects carried out
in other sections. Training and guidance will be provided where
necessary. There may also be opportunities for working on BM led UK,
foreign excavations or fieldwork.

All the advertised permanent posts are through graded to Senior
Conservator Band 5. Promotion to Band 5 is dependent on performance.

The successful candidates will be based in our various workshops
within the main Museum site (Bloomsbury) apart from the organics
(including textile) posts which will predominantly be based at our
North London studios. Most of the daily work will be carried out in
the respective workshops, but sometimes it is more convenient for
staff to work in galleries or storage areas.

For an informal discussion of the posts please contact respectively
Allyson Rae (organic and textile posts) on +44 207 323 8086 or Ken
Uprichard (stone and ceramics posts) on  +44 207 323 8673.

For further information regarding these posts and an application
form please see
<URL:http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/jobs/index.html>. Please
state very clearly if you wish your application to be considered for
more than one of the advertised posts.

Completed applications should be sent to the

    Department of Human Resources
    The British Museum
    Great Russell Street
    London, WC1B 3DG

quoting the appropriate reference number.

The closing date for all applications is May 22, 2003
We regret that we are not able to notify unsuccessful candidate.
The British Museum is an Equal Opportunities Employer.

James Parker
Conservation science and Analytical Chemistry
Department of Conservation, Documentation and Science
The British Museum
Great Russell Street.
London WC1B 3DG
+44 20 7323 8174