Subject: Substitute for Vinamul 3252

Substitute for Vinamul 3252

From: Susan Bradley <s.bradley>
Date: Thursday, May 8, 2003
On behalf of Colin Johnson, Glennda Marsh-Letts
<g_marshletts [at] hotmail__com> writes

>    Vinamul3252 poly vinyl acetate/polyethylene copolymer stock
>    solution is soluble in water and acetone. It is a 57% solids
>    suspension in water: for practical purposes I regard this as
>    100% or 'full strength'. Once set it is partially soluble in
>    acetone.
>    I am informed by friends at the BM (British Museum) that recent
>    batches show browning of the stock solution and a tendency to
>    stain original material (a great sin!). It is suspected that the
>    formulation has been changed. Anyway, a substitute is required!

Currently conservation scientists at the British Museum are
conducting a review of the use of Vinamul and other emulsions, both
acetate and acrylic based, with particular reference to long term
behaviour on objects and as free films.  This review is utilising
samples prepared in earlier testing programmes and observations on
objects.  The work has not yet reached the internal report stage.
However we can say that the work shows no reason for conservators to
cease using Vinamul 3252 as long as good practice is used in both
application and storage of the emulsion.

Susan Bradley and James Parker
Conservation Scientists
The British Museum

Susan Bradley
Head of Conservation Science and Analytical Chemistry
Department of Conservation, Documentation and Science
The British Museum
London WC1B 3DG
+44 20 7323 8679
Fax: +44 20 7323 8636