Subject: Polyfilla and Moltofill

Polyfilla and Moltofill

From: Daniel Joest <lcjoest>
Date: Monday, May 5, 2003
I am a student of stone conservation and I'm working on an
predynastic Egyptian siltstone vessel which needs structural fills.
During my literature research, which included many articles in the
Journal of the American Institute for Conservation (JAIC) and
Studies in Conservation, I frequently read about the use of products
from the Polyfilla series for loss compensation on stone objects.
This product is uncommon in Germany, but there is the brand named
Molto (products are called "Moltofill"), which is part of ICI Paints
as well as Polycell, which produces Polyfilla.

    Does anyone has experience with Polyfilla and/or Moltofill?

    Which Polyfilla products (for example plaster repair polyfilla,
    multi purpose p., fine surface p., no sanding p.) are used in
    conservation?

    If it is used in conservation, the ingredients should be known.
    What are the ingredients of these products?

    Is it possible to get technical datasheets?

    Is the name the only difference between Polyfilla and Moltofill?

    If this is read by a person working in Germany: Is Moltofill
    used as an conservation material in Germany as well?

Daniel Joest
University of Applied Sciences and Arts
Institute for Conservation, Hildesheim, Germany

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 6, 2003