Subject: Acrylic adhesives

Acrylic adhesives

From: Sara Anne Moy <smoy4>
Date: Monday, May 5, 2003
Priscilla Anderson <priscilla_anderson [at] harvard__edu> writes

>We are experimenting with Lascaux acrylic adhesives (498 HV in
>particular) for use in book conservation, and want to know how
>conservators in any fields use (or don't use) this class of
>adhesives.

Lascaux acrylic thermoplastic polymer adhesive (498 HV) is a methyl
methacrylate and butyl acrylate thickened with acrylic butylester,
and having a pH 8-9 and is biocide stable
(<URL:http://www.lascaux.ch>).  The adhesive can be initially
thinned in water.  Once it is dried it becomes insoluble in water,
white spirits, naphtha, etc., however it is soluble in acetone,
toluene and xylene.  It appears to be age resistant and non-cross
linking (based on the manufacture).  I suggest taking a look at:
Duffy, M. C. 1989.  A Study of Acrylic Dispersion used in the
Treatment of Paintings. JAIC vol. 28, no. 2, pp.: 67-77.  This seems
like a good study in several types of Lascaux.

It seems that Lascaux series has mostly been use for the lining
painting (introduced in 1972), at least in the past.  See:

    Percival-Prescott, W. and P. Boissonnas. 1974.
    The Lining Cycle. in Conference on Lining Techniques, Greenwich.
    Other applications include mounting paper, wood and plaster.

You might also want to take a look some of the articles listed
below:

    Binding Repairs for Special Collections at the Harry Ransom
    Humanities Research Center In (I believe that they use Jade 403,
    but do cite one of the Lascaux' in the references):
    <URL:http://aic.stanford.edu/conspec/bpg/
        annual/v19/bp19-30.html>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

    The History of the Use of Synthetic Consolidants and Lining
    Adhesives by Carmen F. Bria, Jr.
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
        waac/wn/wn08/wn08-1/wn08-104.html>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for