Subject: Displaying large photographic print

Displaying large photographic print

From: Ulrich Birkmaier <ulrich.birkmaier>
Date: Thursday, May 1, 2003
The Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art recently acquired a very large
work by Andreas Gursky. We are in the process of trying to establish
display and handling guidelines. Since the print is mounted to the
support permanently, making the plexiglas an integral part of the
piece, we are obviously concerned about any scratches, scuffs,
repeated cleanings, etc. that will be permanent and irreversible.
Has anyone done aging tests on the silicone rubber adhesive that is
supposedly used for mounting? Do you know whether the plexi normally
used is UV filtered? Has your institution any particular display
requirements for his works, such as physical barriers, maximum light
levels, etc.?

Ulrich Birkmaier
Conservator
Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art