Subject: Marking

Marking

From: Laurel Casjens <mpc_programs>
Date: Thursday, May 1, 2003
I have two questions about marking artifacts.  I have convinced my
colleagues to use Acryloid B72 instead of fingernail polish to mark
artifacts, but we have a problem because it takes so long to dry
before the top coat can be put on.  I have no facts on how long
fingernail polish lasts compared to Akryloid B72.  Can anyone give
us some data? What would happen if we didn't put a top layer on?
Does any one have data on this? We have very limited work space, so
leaving artifacts out for hours or overnight is a problem.

Also, for esthetic reasons, we would like to mark dark artifacts
with a clear base and white ink.  Is there an archival white ink or
pens that anyone knows about.  I don't find them in the usual
catalogs.

Dr. Laurel Casjens
Curator of Education
Museum of Peoples and Cultures