Subject: Blanching

Blanching

From: Sally Cheyne <sallycheyne>
Date: Thursday, May 1, 2003
I have a late 19th century unvarnished, oil on canvas, approximately
2.5m x 1.5m. I think it has been stored in an outhouse or similar
and now has severe blanching in the paint layer, confined to the
darks, particularly browns and greens.  Nothing I have tried
improves it (even the dreaded DMF) other than repeated varnishing
and even this leaves a "bloomed" appearance on drying. Any
suggestions?

                    Distributed: Friday, May 2, 2003