Subject: Binding archival materials

Binding archival materials

From: Julia Merkel <merkeljm>
Date: Wednesday, April 30, 2003
I'm hoping there might be some recommendations from the list for
binding board meeting minutes for a university archives. The minutes
are currently bound in expensive ($100 a pop) locking ledgers.  We
are considering sending the minutes to be bound at a commercial
bindery (like dissertations) and wonder if in the interest of saving
limited shelf space--is it advisable to have the text printed double
sided?  If so, are there recommendations for paper: Obviously
acid-free. 25% rag? Text or bond? Which weight?

And, have there been tests done for the longevity of various
printing processes?  Inkjet vs. laser printer etc. If the text were
printed double-sided, we certainly would not want to discover
evidence of fugitive ink down the road. Your recommendations would
be greatly appreciated.

Julia Merkel
James Madison University Libraries

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 30, 2003