Subject: Books on pest management

Books on pest management

From: Karen Dabney <kdabney>
Date: Wednesday, April 30, 2003
Mark Ryan <mryan [at] plainsart__org> writes

>I've recently been looking at purchasing a book related to museum
>pest control for an art museum. ...

Two other books to consider are Handbook of Pest Control by Arnold
Mallis, and Integrated Pest Management in Museum, Library and
Archival Facilities, by James D. Harmon (Harmon Preservation Pest
Management, P.O. Box 40262, Indianapolis, IN 46240).

The Mallis book is one of the main texts used by the pest control
industry, and is a valuable resource for pest identification,
photos, life cycles, habits, etc. It will also tell you how the pest
control industry approaches dealing with pests, but does not include
much about integrated pest management. However, by having detailed
information about the pests, you can figure out some basic
strategies for control and elimination. I found that this book has
far more information about pests than the ones written for museums,
and I have found it to be very useful.

The Harmon book is in our lab's library, and although I'm not very
familiar with the book, the drawings and information in it appear to
be helpful, and it does focus on integrated pest management. It
seemed worth mentioning, so that you could be aware of it. Maybe
someone else can offer a more definite opinion about this book.

Karen Dabney, Paper Conservator
Commonwealth Conservation Center
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 30, 2003