Subject: Tortoise shell

Tortoise shell

From: Tom James Braun <tom.braun>
Date: Tuesday, April 29, 2003
Greg Peters <gregnpeters [at] effect__net__au> writes

>Does anyone where I can obtain tortoise shell, faux tortoiseshell or
>a tortoiseshell substitute within or near to Australia (to be used
>for patching a 19th century boulle cabinet).

Although this does not help you specifically with suppliers near
Australia, perhaps I can get you started in the right direction.  In
June 2002 I presented a tip at the AIC Meeting in Miami regarding a
new material for producing faux tortoise-shell fills.  Basically, I
used pick-guard sheet-stock sold by luthier supply companies
(suppliers for stringed instruments makers).  Frequently these
suppliers sell cellulose nitrate sheet stock, which of course should
be avoided, but one particular product that I found to work very
well was an epoxy-based product hand-made by Turtleworks, based in
Bloomington, Indiana.  If you like, the manufacturer will even try
to match the color, thickness, and patterning you wish to duplicate.

Last week I received the prepress proof copy of my tip, which will
be published in the 2002 AIC Wooden Artifacts Group Postprints.  The
Postprints should go to press within the next few months.  I will
send you a photocopy of the prepress tip.  After it is published, my
employer plans on posting the tip at our web site, which will be
found at
<URL:http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conservation/research.html> .   In
the meantime, the luthiers supplier I used was:

    Luthiers Mercantile International, Incorporated
    P.O. Box 774, 412 Moore Lane
    Healdsburg, California 95448
    United States of America
    707-433-1823
    Orders 800-477-4437
    Fax: 707-433-8802
    <URL:http://www.lmii.com>

They are a distributor for the epoxy-based faux-tortoise shell
produced by Turtleworks.  I have found that you can also purchase
the stock directly from Turtleworks, whom I have found happy to
customize my orders.  They can be reached at:

    Turtleworks, c/o Colette Hanson
    2650 North Brummetts Creek Road
    Bloomington, Indiana 47408
    United States of America
    812-334-2496

I hope you find this helpful, sincerely,

Thomas J. Braun
Daniels Object Conservation Laboratory
Minnesota Historical Society

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 29, 2003