Subject: New technologies for conservation of artifacts damaged in Iraq

New technologies for conservation of artifacts damaged in Iraq

From: Martin Juergens <post>
Date: Tuesday, April 29, 2003
Jan-Erik Bergh <jeb [at] du__se> writes

>.. Where is the the anger in the
>museum world as a reaction to the situation described above? Are
>there so many museum people who don't care, or...? Thanks Peter,

I have had a number of discussions with museum associated people
here in Germany since the US army allowed for the looting of the
museums in Iraq, and we are all angered, especially since we saw no
reason for this war in the first place, as it was plainly illegal
and immoral.

That aside, we don't really know how to express our anger and
dismay. Writing a letter to US government officials may help, but it
really doesn't give the satisfaction of feeling one has done
something concrete. One thing this war and its consequent looting
has done to some of the conservation and museum people I have
communicated with is to diminish their willingness to participate in
US-based events, e.g. conferences (silly though this may seem at the
surface, there are feelings of our own impotence over here in Europe
in regard to what is going on that create this anger). It is like an
instinct reaction with the goal of not wanting to support the Bush
regime in any way.

So far some perhaps somewhat irrational thoughts on the matter...

Martin Juergens
Photograph Conservator
Beerenweg 6-8
22761 Hamburg, Germany