Subject: Dragon's Blood

Dragon's Blood

From: Sally Woodcock <sally.woodcock>
Date: Saturday, April 26, 2003
Norman Heckenberg <heckenbe [at] physics__uq__edu__au> writes

>Can any UK listmembers tell me where I might purchase some Dragon's
>Blood (for instrument lacquer colouring) over the counter in London
>or Cambridge when I travel there next week? My supply form Bizzari
>in Florence has run out.

You could first call L. Cornelissen and Son, +44 20 7636 1045, to
see if they have it in stock.  They are central, near the British
Museum at:  105 Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3RY.  They have a
good web site with directions at <URL:http://www.cornelissen.com>

They list the following in their pigment list:

    Dragon's Blood:  50g #12.85; 250g #53.
    Dragon's Blood ball with gold seal: 100g #22.95.

Otherwise, Kremer sell the following:

    37000 Dragon's blood powder, resinous product of Calamus draco.
    Soluble in lacquer thinners for red glazes
    100g:  #15.50; 1 kg #140

    37010 Dragon's blood, original pieces
    100g #15.50; 1 kg #140

(I'm not sure how accurate these prices are)

Their UK distributor is A.P. Fitzpatrick, based in London:

    A.P. Fitzpatrick
    142 Cambridge
    Heath Road, London E1 5QJ
    +44 20 7790 0884

They only keep a limited stock of rarer pigments, so you would need
to call first to see if it is worth the journey.

I live in Cambridge and don't know of any source there, as there is
only one, very general, art supply shop

    Heffer's Art and Graphics
    15-23 King Street
    Cambridge