Subject: New technologies for conservation of artifacts damaged in Iraq

New technologies for conservation of artifacts damaged in Iraq

From: Pete Sixbey <pete.sixbey>
Date: Monday, April 28, 2003
Kelly Hearn <kwhearn [at] yahoo__com>

>I am writing a story for United Press International looking at what
>new technologies--if any--could be used to restore damaged artifacts
>in Iraq. Are there any nanotechnology applications being used, for
>example? I heard recently that much of the work is still done the
>old fashioned way--with glue.  Anyway, I am desperate to find some
>clues here. Again, what kinds of technologies are being used to
>restore damaged artifacts? ...

I am afraid Kelly Hearn's search for "shock and awe" conservation
technologies for artifacts damaged in Iraq will be futile and at
very most ridiculous. I agree with Pete S. Graham's assessment that
the story she wants to tell is misguided and sidesteps the story
that should be told. The US government's total disregard for the
cultural heritage of another country is frightening. To minimize
such a major loss to not only the Iraqi people but to the world
community by such comments by senior government officials  as
"untidiness of war" is unforgivable. I realize the Conservation
DistList is not a forum for political discussion. But when
governmental policies cause destruction of art and historical
objects,our opinions on this matter should be expressed and do
matter. I hope that Kelly Hearn will shift her story from "How
artifacts are conserved?" to "Why they need to be conserved in the
first place?"

                  Distributed: Monday, April 28, 2003