Subject: History of preventive conservation

History of preventive conservation

From: Jonathan P. Brown <envcons>
Date: Sunday, April 27, 2003
Anel Rodriguez <anelr [at] earthlink__net> writes

>... My professor has requested that I include a section
>on the history of preventive conservation.  Although I took a course
>on preventive conservation, I cannot find enough information.  Do
>any of you have any suggestions for resources that I might research?

Bill Rose and I wrote a history of preventive conservation published
in somewhat adumbrated form as

    J.P. Brown and William B. Rose.
    "Humidity and moisture in historic buildings: the origins of
    building and object conservation"
    APT Bulletin, 27/3 (1996), 12-24

I have a considerably revised and expanded version available as a
word document and can email it to you if you wish.

    **** Moderator's comments: The document has been added to
    Conservation OnLine

    Brown, Jonathan P. and Rose, William B.
    Development of humidity recommendations in museums and moisture
        control in buildings
    APT Bulletin, 27/3 (1996), 12-24. Revised version 1997
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
        byauth/brownjp/humidity1997.html">

    The above URL has been wrapped for email. There should be no
    newline.

JP

                  Distributed: Monday, April 28, 2003