Subject: Displaying archaeological amber

Displaying archaeological amber

From: Janet Brough <janet.brough>
Date: Friday, April 4, 2003
We understand that amber should be stored and displayed in a
environment where light and humidity are controlled. We have in our
collections an excavated amber cup, and we wish to control the
illumination exposure by having a press button system for the public
to use. However, at 50 lux there is not enough light to show the
structure of the cup. We are concerned if we increase the level of
illumination we may be causing damage. Does anyone have information
about the actual processes of deterioration that take place in amber
exposed to light? and whether these are likely to be accelerated if
a short, brighter level of light is used rather than continuous
lower levels? (Assuming the overall exposure in a year, say, is
approximately the same). In addition, is light-initiated
deterioration in amber  intimately connected with its deterioration
due to high/low humidity levels?

Janet Brough,
Royal Pavilion, Libraries and Museums,
Brighton and Hove,