Subject: Ten agents of deterioration

Ten agents of deterioration

From: John E. Simmons <jsimmons>
Date: Thursday, April 24, 2003
Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo [at] aol__com> writes

>This is in response to Mr. Simmons' comments on "Ten agents of
>deterioration" which he attributes to an article by Costain ...
>... I must say that it is likely that
>it is derived from the work of Carl J. Wessel and Glen A.
>Greathouse, Deterioration of Materials: Causes and Preventive
>Techniques, Reinhold, N.Y. 1954. ...

I want to thank Dr. Caldararo for his message, and for providing the
citation.  I did not mean to imply that the authors I cited had done
all of the research behind identifying the agents of deterioration,
but rather, that they were the individuals who pulled a diverse
array of information together to formulate the concept of the Agents
of Deterioration.  Clearly their work was based on previous
conservation research.

John E. Simmons
Collection Manager, Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research
Center and Coordinator, Museum Studies Program
University of Kansas
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7561
785-864-4508