Subject: New technologies for conservation of artifacts damaged in Iraq

New technologies for conservation of artifacts damaged in Iraq

From: Peter S. Graham <psgraham>
Date: Thursday, April 24, 2003
Kelly Hearn <kwhearn [at] yahoo__com> writes

>I am writing a story for United Press International looking at what
>new technologies--if any--could be used to restore damaged artifacts
>in Iraq. Are there any nanotechnology applications being used, for
>example? I heard recently that much of the work is still done the
>old fashioned way--with glue.  Anyway, I am desperate to find some
>clues here. Again, what kinds of technologies are being used to
>restore damaged artifacts? Any pointers would be greatly
>appreciated,

I know being assigned this story isn't your fault but as a member of
the library and cultural community I have to express my despair at a
story like this being worked up.  It distinctly recalls rearranging
the deck chairs on the Titanic.

The bigger story is why this happened.  Why were the artifacts
looted and damaged?  Why were they not protected?  What cultural
values are visible when an occupying responsible power protects the
revenue ministries but not the cultural ministries, even when warned
in advance (both long term and short term?).

Perhaps we can save or reconstruct some small portion of these
artifacts.  What is necessary to be sure it won't happen again?
Where is our press in asking the tough questions and writing the
tough commentary about a secretary of defense who wonders if there
really are that many vases in Iraq?

With sorrow,

Peter S. Graham
University Librarian