Subject: Demolition of neighboring buildings

Demolition of neighboring buildings

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <rduncan>
Date: Wednesday, April 23, 2003
I am consulting with a museum located in a brick period structure
built in 1895.  It is the only existing pathology building still
standing in the U.S. and stands on the former grounds of a central
state asylum.  The hospital grounds have been purchased by the city
for development.  The museum building and its contents will remain
as a cultural focal point, but many buildings within 100 yards of
the museum will be demolished this summer and fall.  Does anyone
have experience with common demolition practice and the process
necessary to protect adjacent structures from particulates?

The building and its collection is in pristine condition; but I am
concerned about the physical impact of demolition and all that it
entails.  Should we be concerned about the foundation being
affected?  The building has two skylights and double hung windows
that will be a source for infiltration of dust.  Regarding future
development, does anyone have experience with how the drilling or
setting pylons for new structures could affect the building?  Any
contract samples for city powers, developers or demolition
companies?

Ramona Duncan-Huse
Director of Conservation
Indiana Historical Society