Subject: Terracotta tile floor

Terracotta tile floor

From: Davide Fodaro <dfodaro>
Date: Monday, April 14, 2003
I am an Italian conservator specialized in ceramic and glass
conservation. Now I am starting a conservation project of an ancient
cotto floor (in Italy, "cotto floor" is a floor made of terracotta
tiles, not glazed).

This is the floor of the Galleria Spada in Palazzo Capodiferro in
Rome. The age of the cotto floor is the 17th century. It is covered
from a thick and oxidized wax layer. I think that laser cleaning
could be used. What do you think? Have you carried out similar
cleaning?

Davide Fodaro
restauratore
laboratorio di restauro terrecotte, ceramiche e vetri
Museo Nazionale del Palazzo di Venezia
Soprintendenza Speciale per il Polo Museale Romano
Piazza San Marco 49, 00186 - Roma
+39 669994246
Fax: +39 669994221

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 17, 2003