Subject: Conservation technicians

Conservation technicians

From: Stan Lester <s.lester>
Date: Wednesday, April 16, 2003
What do Conservation Technicians and Assistants do?

I'm undertaking a short study sponsored by the Public Record Office,
Oxford University and the British Library to identify the work and
responsibilities of conservation technicians and assistants and
other 'paraconservators'--i.e. people working in conservation who
would not be described as professional/qualified conservators. The
first stage of the study has identified four broad
assistant/technician roles in the UK, and some of the issues about
progressing from this level to professional conservator.  In the
next stage I want to get into more detail about how conservation
technicians/assistants are employed and what specifically they do.

There are more details at
<URL:http://www.devmts.demon.co.uk/pacr/constech.htm>, including two
short questionnaires--one for the UK and Ireland, and one for other
countries. I'd like to get as many responses as possible from people
working in UK and Irish institutions and firms that employ
conservation technicians / assistants, as well as more general
feedback from conservators in other countries about roles and
employment there.

Dr Stan Lester Stan Lester Developments Taunton, UK +44 1823 333091
Fax: +44 1823 352339

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 16, 2003