Subject: Training in architectural conservation

Training in architectural conservation

From: Jeremy Wells <jeremy>
Date: Monday, April 14, 2003
I just recently learned that way back in 1977, a group of
professionals in the U.S. got together to design a suggested
master's degree program in architectural conservation. The link to
this text, , can be found at:

    <URL:http://archive.epreservation.net/
        education/standards/ncacguidelines.html>
    "Suggested Guidelines for Training in Architectural
    Conservation"
    The National Conservation Advisory Council (NCAC)--which evolved
    to become the National Institute for the Conservation of
    Cultural Property, Heritage Preservation.

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

As of today, no university in the U.S. offers a master's degree in
architectural conservation (specializations are offered, but not the
whole degree). The suggested curriculum is clearly different than
the multidisciplinary historic preservation graduate programs
typically found in the U.S. I'm very curious why no university in
the U.S. has implemented a program based on the NCAC guidelines.
These guidelines appear to closely parallel current European
training models. Would such a program not work in the U.S. or would
it be doomed to failure?

Jeremy

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 16, 2003