Subject: Salaries

Salaries

From: Andrea di Bagno <adibagno>
Date: Friday, April 11, 2003
I totally agree that the salary offers I have seen published on the
DistList are insulting to the profession.

The last AIC salary survey was done in 1989. It might be a help to
have another one done either by them or maybe by the DistList to
give young professionals an idea of what they might expect to get
and should strive to ask for.

Seeing that only 14% answered the survey, I would comment that maybe
the category does not care and deserves what it gets.

I remember my first job interview--I remember not having any idea of
what the salary might be and certainly being so anxious to get the
job not caring to make any demands not knowing what demands would be
acceptable. This ignorance only helps institutions/businesses keep
the salaries low. An MBA graduate in business can expect a first
salary of 35.000-50-000 and up why should an MA graduate in
conservation expect less? Are his loan repayments, his rent his food
less expensive?

Unless there is more information available on what
institutions/businesses are willing to pay a professional
conservator I don't see any trend upward possible. Thank you for
starting this discussion.

Andrea Guidi di Bagno

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 16, 2003