Subject: Wicker basket

Wicker basket

From: Loretta Greene <loretta.greene>
Date: Wednesday, April 9, 2003
I have acquired an old wicker flower basket that was used for floral
displays in a chapel.  It was stored behind the altar area so is
dirty and dusty along with a few bird droppings.  I would like to
clean it and am sure it could use some water but don't want to wet
it unnecessarily.  To describe it:  the basket has a pedestal base,
the top flares open, and there is a high arcing handle.  The base is
ribbon-type reeds; the flaring top is tube-type reeds (like very
thick pasta).  There is a metal liner for water and the flowers.  It
is painted the original color - cream. The basket dates from
1920-30s.  Other than the dirt, it is in excellent condition with no
broken reeds.  Can I give it a quick dip in cool water?  What
cleaner to use?  I appreciate any help or suggestions and apologize
for not using proper terminology for baskets.  Thank you.

Loretta Zwolak Greene, CA
Archivist, Sisters of Providence
Providence Health System/Providence Services
4800 37th Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98126
206-937-4600
Fax: 206-923-4001