Subject: Drumhead

Drumhead

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Wednesday, April 9, 2003
Nicole Bogdahn <nicolebogdahn [at] web__de> writes

>My dissertation includes the treatment of a big, painted,
>tambourine-like drum of the Yup'ik, Alaska. The drumskin is probably
>made of the stomach of a walrus.  At the moment the main problem is
>the clear identification of the drumskin material used. Does anybody
>know a possibility to identify stomach? Furthermore I am interested
>in treatments to stick torn stomach or gut, and in the adhesives
>and materials used.

My reply may seem unsympathetic/unhelpful, but it is not meant so.

The query did not specify the manner of preparation/presentation of
the drum, so I will make some (unspecified) assumptions.

Go to a slaughterhouse and examine a cow's stomach; cut one of them
open and look inside.  If you like, cut out a 6 inch-square piece
and dry it on a piece of glass or formica.  You will not be the
first conservator to have done so.

Mammalian stomach tissue is fairly consistent, from species to
species. Stomach tissue is very similar to gall bladder tissue. This
is worth remembering.

Mending material is problematic.  Is the drum to be kept under
tension? If so, one or another variation of hide glue may be called
for. If not, any number of synthetic adhesives may suffice.

Jack
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon 97217