Subject: Mounting botanical specimens

Mounting botanical specimens

From: Lydia C. Egunnike <l.egunnike>
Date: Friday, April 4, 2003
I was hoping someone may know of a simple, safe technique for
remounting botanical specimens. We are currently trying to ascertain
the best way of treating a series of fragile, brittle specimens
currently taped to poor quality board with very discoloured
adhesive tape. I have contacted a number of Australian botanical
institutions for advice and it would seem that the most common
method involves attaching the specimens to "acid free" board using
"acid-free" self-adhesive tape--I imagine something like Filmoplast
P. I am uncomfortable with this technique as it provides no physical
protection and as I am a conservative conservator, I am very
reluctant to use any self-adhesive tape in direct contact with
objects. Any guidance would be gratefully received,

Lydia Egunnike
Senior Conservator
Collection Preservation
State Library of Queensland