Subject: Preparing molds of bones

Preparing molds of bones

From: David Thomas <david.thomas>
Date: Wednesday, April 2, 2003
Cobus van Breda <cvanbreda [at] tmag__tas__gov__au> writes

>At the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery we have an entire Thylacine
>skeleton that we wish to mould. ...

For those working in the UK and Europe, it is worth pointing out
that we also have 3D scanning technology in the Laser Technology
section of The Conservation Centre at National Museums and Galleries
on Merseyside. This technique can be used to create replicas of a
wide range of objects where direct moulding is inappropriate. We
have used it to make replicas of sculpture, architectural detail and
other works of art.  We also provide this service to third parties.
Please contact David Thomas at NMGM if you would like to know more
about this process.

David Thomas
The Conservation Centre
Whitechapel