Subject: Japanese woodcuts

Japanese woodcuts

From: James Ward <jcw2001>
Date: Saturday, March 29, 2003
I have a 19th century japanese woodblock print by the artist
Kunichika which has been "creped" after printing.  Although the
colours are relatively rich and unfaded, the print is discoloured
from an acidic backing board and has several fairly obvious stains.

Does anyone have any experience in treating prints of this nature
i.e. chirimen-e?  I would be particularly interested in hearing of
attempts at wet treatments, as I have heard that bathing these
prints is possible but I am reluctant to attempt this without some
feedback first.  The print does not contain aniline dyes.

I would also be interested in more information regarding the
Chirimen-e technique itself.  Does anyone know of a text which
discusses it?

James Ward
Private Conservator
Australia