Subject: Dibasic ester paint removal systems

Dibasic ester paint removal systems

From: Ellen Pearlstein <epearlstein>
Date: Saturday, March 29, 2003
Jocelyn Evans <jocelyne [at] unimelb__edu__au> writes

>I am interested in doing some research into paint removal systems
>based on dibasic esters (such as 3M's 'Safest Stripper'),
>investigating their use in conservation treatments (such as removal
>of overpaint on easel paintings, or removal of a younger paint film
>from an older in the conservation of historic buildings).

I did some pH and modified Oddy tests with 3M Safest Stripper. The
pH varied from batch to batch, between neutral and acidic (pH 4).
Also, corrosion to the polished copper coupon in an Oddy test was
virulent and quick! I did not test with lead. I suspect from the
plastic containers chosen to package the strippers that corrosion to
iron and other white metals may be likely. I am very interested in
the results of the questioner's study.

Ellen Pearlstein
Brooklyn Museum

                  Distributed: Monday, March 31, 2003