Subject: Dibasic ester paint removal systems

Dibasic ester paint removal systems

From: Jocelyn Evans <jocelyne>
Date: Thursday, March 27, 2003
I am interested in doing some research into paint removal systems
based on dibasic esters (such as 3M's 'Safest Stripper'),
investigating their use in conservation treatments (such as removal
of overpaint on easel paintings, or removal of a younger paint film
from an older in the conservation of historic buildings).

I would like to hear from anyone who has already conducted research
into this area; in particular I am hoping to track down Lori K. Van
Handel's Master's thesis entitled "An evaluation of new proprietary
paint removal systems and their effect on underlying paint layers"
from Queen's University, Kingston.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has used paint removal
systems based on dibasic esters, and what their experience of them
has been, including details of the paint or other films involved.

Jocelyn Evans
Paintings Intern, Ian Potter Art Conservation Centre
University of Melbourne

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 27, 2003