Subject: Preparing molds of bones

Preparing molds of bones

From: Cobus van Breda <cvanbreda>
Date: Thursday, March 27, 2003
At the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery we have an entire Thylacine
skeleton that we wish to mould.  Our display technician has
experience with moulding a variety of items however given the rarity
and irreplaceable nature of the specimen, we need to mould it in a
way that will not leave a residue on the original bone material. We
need to keep the skeleton as "unaffected" as possible--e.g. no
residues that may compromise the bones or affect any later genetic
studies. The skeleton is generally in good order however there are
some cracks and porous areas on the bones.  Can you suggest some of
the latest compounds and techniques used to mould rare bones or
publications on the subject?

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 27, 2003