Subject: Risk assessment and earthquakes

Risk assessment and earthquakes

From: Mike Bir <mbir>
Date: Monday, March 24, 2003
For the reinstallation of our galleries, I have been requested to
build mounts for objects to protect them from the effects of seismic
activities.  This will be protection from events beyond the
occasional bump and shake.  I am interested in any standards that
other museums have developed regarding this issue.  I understand
that earthquake motions vary from region to region as well as
between buildings, however I would still appreciate any information
or ideas you would be willing to share concerning the following
issues:

Is it common for institutions to employ some standard of stability
to rate objects?  For example a grading system from unable to stand
to very stable with grades between. Is it practical to bring the
stability of the object up to that of the building? Are temporary
installation treated differently than permanent installations? How
have you dealt with the struggle between object security and its
aesthetic presentation?

A. Michael Bir
Mount Builder
Indianapolis Museum of Art