Subject: Artist's books

Artist's books

From: Tiah Edmunson-Morton <edmunstk>
Date: Saturday, March 22, 2003
I am an MLIS student at San Jose State U and am studying the
preservation issues associated with artists books.  I have tried,
unsuccessfully to locate any material on the preservation of these
books--does anyone have any ideas for me?  Other than the three or
four books about artists books, there isn't much out there...

If there are librarians out there with artists books in your
collections (I'm assuming they are all in special collections): do
you have special standards or concerns for the preservation of
artists books?  Are there people in your libraries that are
specially trained to conserve art, rather then "standard" books? Are
you in museum libraries that have special conservation departments
for the art, so that is where the books go when they are in need of
care?

To the artists out there: do you consider the long term survival of
your work when creating it.  Ie. do you use acid free paper or
consider how metals might react with each other?  Do you see your
art in a fine arts museum or in a library for patrons?

Tiah Edmunson Morton

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 27, 2003