Subject: Picasso etchings

Picasso etchings

From: Jose F. Garcia <jfgarcia>
Date: Tuesday, March 25, 2003
Jayne Holt <jayne [at] girodholt__com> writes

>One of my clients owns a pair of etchings by Picasso.  They are both
>depictions of female nudes.  She has not yet given me the dates.
>Both are signed and numbered by the artist.

We have observed that inks composition changes from the tube to the
first moment when it is applied to the paper and this change could
continue along time.

We think that a way to understand what happens could be to determine
the composition of the two signatures and to try to deduce the
degradation mechanism as a function of what compound are included or
found.

It is difficult for us imagine what could happen in this case
without more information. Signatures used to be done in black and
not in red. Nevertheless, probably, the change could be related to the
pigment included in the ink, but the other components of
the ink could also be in part responsible for this behavior.

We are interested in this topic and are open to collaborate in the
analyse of these inks and to try to find what is going on in the
colour change.

Jose F.Garcia  and Anna Vila

Dr. Jose F. Garcia
Departament de Pintura, Conservacio-Restauracio
Facultat de Belles Arts
Universitat de Barcelona
C/ Pau Gargallo 4
08028 Barcelona