Subject: Bone

Bone

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Monday, March 24, 2003
Evangelia Kyriazi <evangelia_kyriazi [at] yahoo__gr> writes

>I am a 3rd year conservation and restoration student at the
>University of Lincoln and I am writing my dissertation on the
>reconstruction of missing areas of bone. I know that plaster has
>been used in many occasions, but there are some cases where the
>bones are too thin, making plaster an inappropriate filler. Last
>year I worked on an oribi (small species of antelope) skull and I
>used Japanese tissue paper impregnated with EVA to reconstruct the
>missing areas. Do you have any suggestions upon other materials that
>could be used for the reconstruction of bone?

I refer you to my article with Steve Gabow, "Mitochondrial DNA
analysis and the place of Neandertals in Homo", Ancient
Biomolecules, v. 3, 2000:135-158.  We summarize the different
materials used to consolidate or replace parts and the damage these
have done in various situations, especially to reanalysis as relates
to ancient DNA among other kinds of instrumentation.  I have also
used Japanese paper to repair missing areas of bone and have
preferred it to using other fill materials which are difficult to
remove and messy to install.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service