Subject: Fire suppression systems

Fire suppression systems

From: Jill C. Trebbe <jill_trebbe>
Date: Friday, March 14, 2003
The Olmsted Archives is in the process of weighing alternatives for
replacement of the halon fire suppression system in our collections
vault.  Our A&E firm is considering two replacement gasses (FM 200
and Inergen) as well as a water mist system.  FM 200 seems to be
their preferred alternative, although we are worried about the
effects of the bromic and flouric acids that are apparently present
in the residual powder if the system discharges. Our collection
includes many large format landscape architectural  drawings which
can be sensitive to such acids because of the chemical processes
used in their printing. Inergen is inert, and does not present the
acidic residue, but requires additional dampers for release of
pressure built up during discharge.  We are concerned that these
dampers will compromise the integrity of the environment in our
vault. We would appreciate hearing any recommendations as far as the
advantages/disadvantages of either of the replacement gasses or the
mist system.

Jill Crook Trebbe
Supervisory Archivist
Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site
617-566-1689 x230

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 18, 2003