Subject: Mummy

Mummy

From: Nickan Eriks <missvhe>
Date: Friday, March 14, 2003
In our museum we are about to transport an Egyptian mummy for to be
x-rayed. The linen bundles around the mummy are in a poor state,
hanging in straps along the sides of the mummy below its cartonnage,
and are therefore in need of conservation prior to transportation.
In co-operation with a textile conservator it has been discussed to
use a new piece of textile, dyed to match the original and placed
around the mummy to hold the loose straps in place. This way, an
intervention of the original material would not be needed and the
method would be considered safe. I am wondering if anyone has
experienced a similar problem? I would be grateful for any advice
given on the matter.

Veronika Eriksson
Object conservator
Museum of Mediterranean and Near Eastern Antiquities
Stockholm, Sweden

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 18, 2003