Subject: Spectrophotometer

Spectrophotometer

From: Nancy E. Binnie <nancy_binnie>
Date: Friday, March 14, 2003
Terrence Quinlan <quinlat [at] algonquincollege__com> writes

>We are currently reviewing equipment needs for the conservation lab
>here at Algonquin College and are interested in acquiring a
>Spectrophotometer. We are requesting feedback/insights from those in
>the field who have employed spectrophotometers. Specifically we are
>requesting your observations regarding pros and cons of models you
>have employed.

The Canadian Conservation Institute in Ottawa has a variety of
colour-measurement devices which we use depending on the type of
substrate to be measured and the type of results which are required.
These include

    Minolta CM-2022 portable spectrophotometer
    Minolta CR-200 portable tristimulus chroma meter
    Minolta CR-300 portable tristimulus chroma meter
    Cary 3 UV-Vis spectrophotometer (bench-top)
    Spectrogard II Color System spectrophotometer (bench-top)
    Ocean Optics fibre optics spectrometer (portable)

Important factors when selecting a spectrophotometer include 1) type
(geometry) and size of measurement target, 2) cost of annual
maintenance/certification of accuracy, 3) versatility, 4) software.
I would suggest that you contact me off-list and arrange to come
over and see these devices and we can discuss their applications and
versatility as well as more recent versions of these devices which
are now on the market and the software that you need to run these
devices and optimize analysis of data.

Nancy E. Binnie, Conservation Scientist (Chemist)
Conservation Processes and Materials Research
Canadian Conservation Institute
Department of Canadian Heritage
1030 Innes Road, Ottawa, Ontario
Canada K1A 0M5