Subject: Conservation assessment

Conservation assessment

From: Cara Schlesinger <schlesic>
Date: Friday, March 7, 2003
    author.

I am a student of bookbinding and conservation.  I was recently
asked for advice on how to handle an archive, and as I'm not able to
provide the advice myself, I'm turning to this list for help.  The
project involves 52 bankers boxes full of manuscripts, some
holograph, some typescript.  They have been in a tropical climate
for the past thirty-odd years and have been damaged by silverfish
and worms.  There also may be some mildew.  The owner of these mss.
intends to do a preliminary cleaning, but before the papers can be
archived the owner feels that they need a more professional cleaning
to get rid of any larvae or other things that affect the paper.  We
are trying to get a sense of what this kind of cleaning may cost,
and how long it may take. The boxes would be shipped from Barbados
directly to the conservator, preferably in New York.

Cara Schlesinger
Brooklyn, New York

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 12, 2003