Subject: Finishing wood

Finishing wood

From: Mark Hennebury <hennebury>
Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2003
I have been making solid wood furniture for the past thirty years,
studying wood structure, joinery methods, tooling, and machinery and
have developed a method of building tables and chairs that I believe
is strong and stable enough with the right finish to last
indefinitely.

I would like a finish that can last a thousand years give or take, I
am considering an oil/wax or PEG type solution.

The furniture is to be made of new kiln dried solid hardwood,
traditional type joinery with no glue or fasteners. The individual
components will be finished prior to assembly, by immersion so that
the finish will if possible fully penetrate the structure
stabilizing protecting and preserving it. The maximum size of the
sections can be up to 150mm x150mm x650mm, and 75mm x 350mm x 3200mm
although most would be smaller. The finish should leave a natural
oil type look to the wood, and should be non toxic when dried. If
anyone has any information that may be of help I would like to hear
from you.

Mark Hennebury
Cabinetmaker

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 12, 2003