Subject: Vulpex

Vulpex

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Monday, March 10, 2003
Suzanne Julie Ross <suzanne.ross [at] unn__ac__uk> writes

>I am interested in finding out what conservators use Vulpex for (a
>potassium methyl cyclohexyl oleate soap). How is the surface cleared
>after use? What formulations are usually used?

I have been using this product for about 25 years in  a number of
applications, especially old stains that resist the development of a
reasonable solubility window.  I have used this preparation on
paper, oil surfaces, metals and ceramics (ceramics was the first
case I was taught to apply it).  Usually I begin with a very dilute
solution (2%) and work up.  I have used it on the suction table and
without, depending on the substrate, flushing with deionized water
always follows treatment.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service