Subject: Vulpex

Vulpex

From: Lori Arnold <arnold>
Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2003
Suzanne Julie Ross <suzanne.ross [at] unn__ac__uk> writes

>I am interested in finding out what conservators use Vulpex for (a
>potassium methyl cyclohexyl oleate soap). How is the surface cleared
>after use? What formulations are usually used?

I have used Vulpex for the cleaning of architectural terra cotta and
cast stone on a 1923 apartment building in New York City. I wanted
something non-ionic to protect the materials from salts.  I doubt an
example of an architectural application is what you were looking
for, but the experience gave me a great deal of information about
the do's and don'ts of using Vulpex for future architectural
applications. In the end, all information is useful. We used a 5%
solution in a five gallon bucket with a dwell time of one to two
minutes. The results were shocking. The building really wasn't that
dirty to begin with, but oh was it clean afterwards. Now, I will
only specify Vulpex for architectural applications when a building
has heavy dirt applications. It is a great deal stronger than
anticipated and always does the job when other cleaners don't.

Lori Arnold
Architectural Conservator
Vitetta
Philadelphia Naval Business Center