Subject: Reliquaries

Reliquaries

From: Emily Williams <ewilliams>
Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2003
Donna Stevens <d.stevens [at] vam__ac__uk> writes

>At the Victoria and Albert Museum in London we are currently in the
>planning stage of re-displaying our Church Plate Gallery. Some of
>our reliquaries still contain objects and although I have already
>contacted several religious denominations for their views  I would
>be grateful to hear of any experiences conservators have had in
>dealing with this type of material.

There is an excellent article on this topic written by Elke Beck.
The reference for it is as follows

    Beck, E. (2001)
    "'Es ist alles tot Ding'!? Considerations in
    Dealing with Relics."
    In Williams, E. (ed), Human Remains: Conservation, Retrieval and
    Analysis.  Proceedings of a conference held in Williamsburg, VA,
    Nov 7-11th 1999.  British Archaeological Reports International
    Series 934.  Oxford: Archaeopress.

                  Distributed: Monday, March 10, 2003