Subject: Materials and techniques of illustration

Materials and techniques of illustration

From: Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt <watercolorist>
Date: Friday, February 21, 2003
I am posting the following query for Terri Mac Donald

    I have a question which I am hoping someone out there may be
    able to help me with.  I am researching scientific
    illustration/natural history illustration as part of my PhD
    thesis.  What I am specifically interested in are the
    traditional illustration materials and techniques, especially
    those used on vellum, that were used by zoological and botanical
    illustrators prior to the 20th century (sounds like a postgrad
    research thing doesn't it?  Nice and obscure).  I have tracked
    down some vellum sources (not easy when you are living in
    Australia) and am looking for any info/reference on these
    materials and the techniques used in painting them. I have
    located a book by Marie Angel who wrote a bit about it, as well
    as bits and pieces from here and there.  Does anyone have any
    experience in this area?  I'm doing quite a bit of work with
    these materials, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel, so to
    speak.

    Terri Mac Donald
    PHD Candidate
    College of Music, Visual Arts and Theatre
    James Cook University  Australia

    author.

Carol Wickenhiser-Schaudt
Botanical Illustrator