Subject: Belgian rice starch

Belgian rice starch

From: Peter Geraty <pgeraty>
Date: Friday, February 28, 2003
We recently ordered Belgian Rice Starch from Talas.  We usually cook
it for 45 Minutes in a hollandaise cooker with the heat set at #4.
The new starch cooks up too stiff and within 24 hours of
refrigerating the water has begun to separate out and the paste is
lumpy.  It is very much like cooking corn starch.  When we go back a
cook a bit of the older starch we have left, using the same methods,
it is fine.  Talas says they have had no complaints about it.  I
went to University Products and they are out of the starch and have
had it back ordered for some time.  Is there a conspiracy with the
Belgium Rice Starch?  Can someone recommend another place to get it
and has anyone had similar problems?

Peter Geraty
Praxis Bindery
1 Cottage St. Unit #18