Subject: Krylon varnish

Krylon varnish

From: Simone Vogel - Horridge <mone29>
Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2003
I currently have a painting in my lab by a fairly well known,
contemporary Canadian artist. His painting, acrylic on board, dates
to 1968. It is covered with a fairly thick, glossy and extremely
yellowed varnish. My client would like to have the varnish removed.
Initial tests with solvents and mechanical removal all showed no
positive results. Upon contacting the artist I learned that the
varnish he used in the Sixties was Krylon. The company which is
still producing it, was not able to give me any advise or
information on the composition of the early Krylon varnishes. Does
anyone have experience and suggestions on the removal of an early
Krylon varnish? Or, is anyone aware of research in this area? Any
information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Simone Vogel - Horridge
Conservator, polychrome wood and paintings
517 Wilson Street
Victoria, BC
V9A 3G8
Canada