Subject: Polyester film and light

Polyester film and light

From: Elizabeth Hadlow <ehadlow>
Date: Friday, February 21, 2003
I am currently undertaking a project involving the possible
protective effects of Mylar for paper objects (polyethylene
terephthalate film) from light damage. It would be very useful to
find out why people choose Mylar (or other PET films) for support
attachments such as photocorners and strips.

Factors suggested to me include: chemically inert; clear film--so
that it doesn't obscure the object; clear film--so that there is no
differential light damage; physically stable--not affected by
changes in temperature and humidity.

Can you please state why you chose Mylar for your organisation (if
you did). I would also be interested to know how Mylar is used for
object supports: do you just use strips and corners, or do you cover
the whole object with a sheet of Mylar to hold it in place, and why?

Elizabeth Hadlow
Conservator
Australian National Maritime Museum

                   Distributed: Monday, March 3, 2003